Ronald Paris was born in Sondershausen, a small town in central Germany with a long tradition as an army town. His father was a stage actor and singer: his mother was a housewife, qualified as a seamstress. As the war drew to a close, formally ending in May 1945, Paris was rescued by advancing American troops from a fire in the cellar of the school in Sondershausen. In 2004, in commemoration of this event, which involved the rescuing of many families, he produced an altar tryptich for the Trinitatis Church in Sondershausen where, many years before, he had been baptized.
He left school in 1948, which was the year of his parents’ divorce, and started an apprenticeship in nearby Weimar focused on glass-art and Stained glass. By this time his urge to become a painter had become firmly rooted: between 1950 and 1952 he undertook appropriate studies, starting with evening classes at the Visual Arts Academy in Weimar and moving on, in 1951, to the Workers’ and Peasants’ faculty at Jena where he qualified for an entitlement to attend a university. He then undertook a brief internship/traineeship at the Castle Museum in Gotha. Between 1953 and 1958 he studied Mural painting at the Visual Arts Academy at Weissensee (Berlin). Here his teachers included Kurt Robbel [de], Arno Mohr, Bert Heller, Gabriele Mucchi and Toni Mau.