Diekirch

article - Diekirch

Diekirch is a small town in Luxembourg, best known for its brewery of the same name and the National Museum of Military History.

WW2 tank at the National Museum of Military History

. . . Diekirch . . .

Diekirch is located along the N7, which is a continuation of the A7 highway which runs from Luxembourg City and Mersch to the north. The N7 connects to Clervaux and Troisvierges in the north, and Ettelbruck (where it becomes the A7) in the south. When travelling from the banks of the Moselle (anywhere between Schengen and Echternach, travel downstream the Moselle and Sauer via the N10, switching to the N19 in Reisdorf.

Diekirch can be reached by train in about 40 minutes from Luxembourg City. There are a direct trains every hour (except on Sundays), but usually you’ll need to transfer to a shuttle service at Ettelbruck as the 49.86486.1541 Diekirch train station is located at an awkward branch from the main line, which it being the only station on the branch.

Busses connect Diekirch to Beaufort, Colmar-Berg, Echternach, Ettelbruck, Grevenmacher and Redange.

Diekirch can be easily covered on foot. The town center is about 1 km away from the train station, just follow the crowd down the road. The Military Museum is just up the hill from the central church.

Map of Diekirch

Diorama of the crossing of the Sauer
  • 49.871216.158911 National Museum of Military History (Musée National d’Histoire Militaire), 10 Bamertal, +352 80 89 08, e-mail: reception@mnhm.lu. Tue-Sat: 10:00 to 18:00, Mon: closed. The museum was born from the initiative of a small group of collectors and history buffs and opened its doors 1984 in the old brewery of Diekirch. Over the years, the collection has witnessed a constant influx of objects. At first, the museum was mainly meant to cover the Battle of the Bulge, but an additional permanent exhibition on the Luxembourg Army was opened in 1994. With the opening of this new part, the museum got its current name, “Musée National d’Histoire Militaire”, or MNHM for short by ministerial decree. Today the museum is run by a non-profit organisation and subsidized by the state. The museum’s main attraction are its 1:1 scale dioramas. These are mostly detailed and realistic reproductions of scenes from the daily life of soldiers and civilians during the Battle of the Bulge. The largest diorama (150 m2) shows the crossing of the Sauer river on January 18, 1945 by units of the 5th US Infantry Division, in order to liberate the city of Diekirch. In addition to the dioramas, the museum has a large collection of military equipment and soldier’s personal belongings, as well as a selection of Allied and Axis military vehicles and artillery that were used during the Battle of the Bulge. €5, optional audioguide €3. (updated Nov 2018)
  • 49.868926.161471 Musée d’Histoires Diekirch (Museum of Diekirch History), 13 Rue du Cure, +352 80 87 90 1. 10:00-18:00, closed on Mondays.. (updated Jun 2017)
  • 49.868326.158481 Musée Automobile – Conservatoire National de Véhicules Historiques (Historical Car Museum), 20-22 Rue de Stavelot, +352 26 80 04 68, fax: +352 26 80 06 56, e-mail: cnvh@pt.lu. 10:00-18:00, closed on Mondays.. (updated Jun 2017)

. . . Diekirch . . .

This article is issued from web site Wikivoyage. The original article may be a bit shortened or modified. Some links may have been modified. The text is licensed under “Creative Commons – Attribution – Sharealike” [1] and some of the text can also be licensed under the terms of the “GNU Free Documentation License” [2]. Additional terms may apply for the media files. By using this site, you agree to our Legal pages . Web links: [1] [2]

. . . Diekirch . . .