Richard Nelson Perham, FRS, FMedSci, FRSA (27 April 1937 – 14 February 2015), was an English Professor of molecular biology, and Master of St John’s College, Cambridge 2004–07. He was also editor-in-chief of FEBS Journal (Federation of European Biochemical Societies) from 1998 to 2013.
Perham attended Latymer Upper School, then St John’s College, Cambridge, where he completed his MA (Cantab), PhD and ScD. Perham then went on to become a MRC scholar at Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB), also at Cambridge.
Perham was known for his contributions to the chemistry of proteins in multimeric assemblies.
Professor Perham is a member of the following organisations and societies:
- 1965 Biochemical Society member
- 1983 EMBO Member
- 1986 Royal Institution for Great Britain member
- 1992 Academia Europaea member
Professor Perham’s accolades include:
- 1971 (EMBO) fellowship Max Planck Institute for Medical Research (Max-Planck-Institut für Medizinische Forschung), Heidelberg
- 1984 Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)
- 1988 Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
- 1993 Max Planck Research Prize
- 1998 Novartis Medal and Prize Biochemical Society
- 2000 Silver Medal Italian Biochemical Society
- 2005 Fellowship of the Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci)
- 2008 Edman Prize International Association of Protein Structure and Proteomics (IAPSAP)
- 2011 Diplôme d’Honneur Federation of European Biochemical Societies