Danbury – nicknamed Hat City – is a city in the interior of Fairfield County, Connecticut, making it part of the Litchfield Hills region. Danbury is a small city located 60 miles southwest of Hartford and 70 miles (110 km) northeast of New York City. Founded in the 17th century, Danbury is the former hat capital of the United States. It was once home to the Great Danbury Fair that has since been replaced by the Danbury Fair Mall, the largest shopping mall in Connecticut. Today, the city has a population of about 75,000 people. It is home to Western Connecticut State University
- Westchester County Airport (HPN IATA) in White Plains, NY with direct flights from 21 US cities including Philadelphia, Atlanta, Washington DC, Detroit, Chicago, Orlando and Tampa. It is about 40 minutes away
- Stewart International Airport in Newburgh, NY, with flights going to Philadelphia, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Atlanta, and Detroit. It is about 60 minutes away
- Tweed New Haven Regional Airport in New Haven, with a flight going to Philadelphia. It is about 70 minutes away
- LaGuardia Airport in Queens, NYC, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 70 minutes away
- Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 80 minutes away
- John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens, NYC, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 80 minutes away
- Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, NJ, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 100 minutes away
- Danbury Municipal Airport (DXR IATA). is a small two-runway public general aviation airport
The easiest and best way to get around Danbury would be by car or bus. With the city being about 44 sq miles, it would not be easy to walk to see the entire town.
HART Bus Serivces The bus line that goes through Danbury is HART. The HART services range from regular buses that can go as far as New Milford and Norwalk, the CityCenter Trolley services, and bus shuttles that go straight to Brewster NY train station to go into New York City.
Rental cars Rental cars are also available for those who would rather drive themselves around. Most popular rental car services being Hertz Car Rental +1 203 743-6773, Avis Rent-A-Car +1 203 744-5450, and Enterprise Rent-A-Car +1 203 748-8998.
- Candlewood Town Park, 36 Hayestown Rd. Over 200 yards of beach with an 100 acre grassy park attached. It is a manmade lake in Danbury that is a hotspot for the summer time. There is a playground and a concession stand in the park. There is also a boat dock near the beach front.
- Hatters Park, 7 E. Hayestown Rd. Around 30 acres for outdoor and indoor activities. Has a Duckpin Bowling Alley, banquet hall, pond, picnic area and three softball fields.
- Kenosia Park Christopher Columbus Ave: 25-acre park with over 100 yards of beach with tables, playground, 3 soccer fields, and row boats.
- Rogers Park End of Main St and South Main St. Around 60 acres that contains recreational fields for the public and many sports teams in the Danbury area. 8 tennis courts, 10 baseball fields, handball court, soccer field, volleyball fields, and basketball courts. Also has a large playground adjacent for younger children.
- Terrywile Park Southern Blvd. 717 acre park for the hiker or outdoorsy type. Has numerous hiking trails, green house, carriage house, farm house, gate house, and a castle to explore.