Brighton is a popular beach suburb amongst both Melburnians and tourists alike. During the Summer, finding somewhere to lay down your towel on the beach can be a difficult task, as thousands flock the suburb on hot days. In addition, Brighton Beach is known for its famous, brightly-coloured bathing boxes which line the beach for hundreds of metres.
Caulfield is the location of Monash University and the Caulfield Racecourse.
Cranbourne is a booming growth area, and the site of Melbourne’s other Royal Botanic Gardens.
Dandenong is a thriving multicultural city, often considered Melbourne’s second CBD. It is home to strong Afghan, Indian and African communities, which are reflected in its variety of shops and restaurants.
Pakenham is another fast-growing suburb, and a gateway to the nearby Gippsland region.
Springvale is a multicultural suburb renowned for its Vietnamese culture.
- 901 bus from Melbourne airport connects with Dandenong.
- 1 Brighton Beach and Bathing Boxes. One of Melbourne’s favoured beaches, be sure to check out the infamous ‘bathing boxes’, brightly coloured boxes that are dotted along the sand. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Jewish Holocaust Centre. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Monash University Museum of Art. Monash University is one of the major tertiary institutions in Melbourne. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Rippon Lea Estate. A heritage-listed historic house and gardens.
(updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Old Cheese Factory, 34-68 Homestead Rd, Berwick. (updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne, Cnr Ballarto Road and Botanic Drive, Cranbourne (Enter via cnr Ballarto Road and Botanic Drive, Cranbourne), ☎+61 3 5990-2200. 9AM-5PM, daily. Closed on Christmas Day..
(updated Nov 2015)
- 1 Drum Theatre (The Drum), Corner Lonsdale and Walker streets, Dandenong, ☎+61 3 8571 1666, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10am – 4pm, Monday – Friday. Opened in February 2006, Drum Theatre is a state-of-the-art, purpose built performing arts theatre within the heritage facade of the former Dandenong Town Hall, and situated in the heart of the Dandenong CBD. (updated Apr 2018)
- 1 Myuna Farm, 182 Kidds Rd, Doveton (Travel east along Clow St, a 1.4km walk from Dandenong Plaza.), ☎+61 3 9706 9944. 10am to 4pm, everyday of the year. $8 each, Group of four $28.