Founded in 1878, Petach Tikva means “opening of hope”, and was one of modern Israel’s first agricultural settlements at the beginning of the Zionist movement. The early settlers drained the swamps in the area and planted orange groves in their place. For decades, it was a major exporter of Jaffa oranges. More recently, the orange groves have been mostly replaced by apartment buildings and industry, as the city grew into Israel’s fifth largest city, and its second largest industrial concentration after Haifa.
For those into early Zionist history, a number of the old buildings have been preserved, though they can be hard to find, and the signs describing them are only in Hebrew.
Petach Tikva is not a significant tourist destination. Among Israelis, it has a reputation for being a boring place where there is nothing to do. Young single Israelis commonly make fun of it, saying it’s a place nobody would ever want to live. However, when those same people get married and start families, Petach Tikva is one of the top places they choose. The city’s population is generally middle to upper-middle class.
Petach Tikva has some of the best medical facilities in the Middle East (including Schneider, the best and biggest children’s hospital in the region). Medical tourism to Petah Tikva is popular, especially from the former Soviet Union.
Bus routes from Tel Aviv: 1, 50, 51, 64, 350 from Central Bus Station; 38, 66, 82, 128, 138, 166, 238 from the Carmel Market Terminal; 49, 266 from Tel Aviv University.
Bus routes from Jerusalem: 947 ,426.
Shared taxis run along routes 51 and 66, entering Petah Tikva along Jabotinsky road (via Ramat Gan and Bnei Brak) on a 24/7 basis.