Mile Matić

Mile Matić (Cyrillic:

Миле Матић; 14 January 1956 – August 1994) was a Yugoslavianprison guard and spree killer who killed 9 people and a dog, and wounded 3 people in Derventa on 26 February 1986.[1] He was found to be mentally disabled and sent to a psychiatric hospital for compulsory treatment, where he committed suicide in 1994 at the age of 38.

This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2021)
Mile Matić
Born 14 January 1956

Died August 1994 (aged 38)

Cause of death suicide by hanging
Occupation Prison guard
Criminal penalty Found not guilty by reason of insanity
Date 26–27 February 1986
Killed 9
Injured 3
Weapons Valmet 7.62mm M62, two pistols, iron, bare hands, arson

. . . Mile Matić . . .

Mile Matić was born on 14 January 1956 in Derventa, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, Yugoslavia. His father was an alcoholic. When Mile was 3 years old, his mother left the family. He lived in Doboj. His IQ was 162 and he was persistent in everything he did. He worked as a prison guard at the “Novi život” prison in Zenica, practiced karate, and quickly gained a black belt. He worked as a coach in the karate section, but was fired because he stole money from membership fees. He had a lot of girls. He was an amateur photographer. He photographed naked girls and filmed erotic scenes in which he was the main actor, but also blackmailed the girls, threatening to send photos to newspapers. Acquaintances said that he was calm, kind and a little narcissistic. He loved to read crime novels, Mercedes cars, and wanted young and beautiful girls.

In March 1985, Matić met Smiljana Vasiljević. At that time, her boyfriend was in the army. She was a third-grade high school student. They were seeing each other, but at the end of the school year, she ended the relationship. However, Matić did not accept it. He watched her more and more often, waited for her near the school, and arranged for her parents to marry her. Realizing that neither marriage nor love with her will work, he openly threatened the girl and her parents, and then her boyfriend. He once told her friends, “She will not live to see the eighth of March.”

Matić often quarreled over the behavior of his sister’s husband. He received dozens of complaints about threats and behavior at work. But no one paid attention to them and did not take them seriously.

After two months of treatment at Zenica Psychiatric Hospital, Matić was released on 16 January 1985. He was discharged as a cured patient with a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. He was forbidden to come into contact with any weapons and was advised to report monthly to the Disability Commission. A similar opinion was expressed a few weeks later by a psychologist from the Sarajevo Institute of Public Health after a regular systematic examination of prison guards from Zenica. He stole these records and hid them. Even then, he had thoughts on how to get rid of people who “haunt him and who bother him.”[1][2]

. . . Mile Matić . . .

This article is issued from web site Wikipedia. The original article may be a bit shortened or modified. Some links may have been modified. The text is licensed under “Creative Commons – Attribution – Sharealike” [1] and some of the text can also be licensed under the terms of the “GNU Free Documentation License” [2]. Additional terms may apply for the media files. By using this site, you agree to our Legal pages . Web links: [1] [2]

. . . Mile Matić . . .