Rosehearty (Scottish Gaelic: Ros Abhartaich) is a settlement on the Moray Firth coast, four miles west of the town Fraserburgh, in the historical county of Aberdeenshire in Scotland. The burgh has a population of approximately 1,300 with about 25 per cent of pensionable age.
The name Rosehearty was documented in 1508 as Rossawarty and is derived from Gaelicros, meaning “cape, headland”, and the personal name Abhartach.
The settlement which is now Rosehearty was founded by a group of shipwrecked Danes in the 14th century. In 1424 the Fraser family built Pitsligo Castle a few hundred yards inland at Pitsligo; the castle was enlarged by the Forbes family in 1570. The remains of the castle are visible from Rosehearty.
Alexander Forbes, 1st Lord Forbes of Pitsligo re-founded the settlement to encourage fishing, on the condition he was given one-fifth of the catch. Rosehearty did not officially exist until it was granted a charter in the 1680s by King Charles II.
The town thrived from the fishing boom and, prior to the arrival of railways at the Broch, “was set fit to rival it”. Ultimately, however, the railway gave Fraserburgh the edge, and Rosehearty’s fishing industry ended.
Rosehearty Beach forms a crescent shape stretching east from the harbour to a group of rocky outcrops. Several rock formations in the area are known as Long Craig, Hungry Hoy, The Pen, Mounsie Weat, Tamhead, Warey Craigs and Damar.