Francisco de Tello de Guzmán

Francisco de Tello de Guzmán (sometimes Francisco Tello de Guzmán; 1532-April 1603) was Spanish governor of the Philippines from July 14, 1596 to May 1602. He was a knight of the Order of Santiago.

In this Spanish name, the first or paternal surname is de Tello and the second or maternal family name is de Guzmán.
Francisco de Tello de Guzmán
10th Governor and Captain-General of the Philippines
In office
July 14, 1596  May 1602
Monarch Philip II of Spain
Philip III of Spain
Governor (Viceroy of New Spain)
Gaspar de Zúñiga, 5th Count of Monterrey
Preceded by Luis Pérez Dasmariñas
Succeeded by Pedro Bravo de Acuña
Personal details
Born 1532
Died April 1603

. . . Francisco de Tello de Guzmán . . .

Francisco de Tello de Guzmán was a native of Seville. He became a knight in the Order of Santiago and treasurer of the India House of Trade. He was named governor and captain general of the Philippines by a royal decree dated November 26, 1595. He entered Manila and took up his position on July 14, 1596.

Despatches from New Spain ordering the reestablishment of the Audiencia of Manila (which had been dissolved some years before) arrived in Manila in May 1598. Governor Tello was named its governor; Doctor Antonio de Morga and Licentiates Christoval Telles Almaçan and Alvaro Rodriguez Zambrano, auditors; and Licentiate Geronymo de Salazar, fiscal. This Audiencia was constituted May 5, 1598.

Fray Ignacio de Sanctivañes, the first archbishop of Manila arrived by the same ships, in May 1598, but he died of dysentery in August of that year. The first suffragan bishops also began arriving in 1598. One of these was Fray Pedro de Agurto, bishop of Sanctisimo Nombre de Jesus, was a native of New Spain. The Jesuit seminary of San José was founded in 1601.

In 1598, Tello sent Juan Zamudio to China in order to establish a trade port there like the Portuguese did in Macau. This resulted in El Piñal being granted to the Spanish, but the Portuguese in Macau reacted violently and attacked the Spanish there. El Piñal was abandoned two years later.

On December 14, 1600, a Spanish fleet under the command of Doctor Antonio de Morga fought two Dutch pirate ships at Cavite. In an intense, six-hour hand-to-hand battle between the two flagships (the San Diego and the Mauritius), the Spanish ship was sunk and defenders of the Dutch ship were mostly killed and the ship set on fire. It did, however, manage to limp to Borneo with a skeleton crew. (This is based on the account of Morga himself. The Dutch account accused him of incompetence and cowardice.) The San Diego lost perhaps 350 sailors and soldiers.

Also in 1600, two merchant ships left Manila for New Spain: the flagship Sancta Margarita, with Juan Martínez de Guillestigui as general, and the San Geronimo, under Don Fernando de Castro. On their way, both ships met with storms in the latitude of 38° and at 600 leguas from the Philippines, and suffered great hardship. After nine months at sea, after many of the men had died and much of the merchandise had been thrown overboard, the San Geronimo put back to the Philippines, off the islands of Catenduanes, outside of the channel of Espiritu Santo, and there was wrecked, although the crew was saved. The flagship “Sancta Margarita, after the death of the general and most of the crew, ported at the Ladrones Islands (Guam) and anchored at Zarpana. There natives who went to the ship, seeing it so abandoned and battered, boarded and took possession of it, and of its goods and property. The few men whom they found alive, they took away to their settlements, where they killed some and apportioned others to various villages, where they maintained them and gave them better treatment.

Shortly after he had taken over the government, Tello received news of the death of Estevan Rodríguez de Figueroa in Mindanao. Juan de la Xara wrote that he had taken over the conquest and pacification of the island that Rodríguez had been in charge of. However, it was learned that Xara was depriving the heirs of Rodríguez of their inheritance, and that he intended to ignore the authority of the governor in Manila. When Xara left his camp and traveled to Oton, he was arrested and sent to Manila for trial. He died during the course of the trial. Tello sent Captain Toribio de Miranda to Mindanao, and he reestablished royal authority in the camp of Xara.

Mindanao at this time was only partially conquered. Rodríguez de Figueroa had signed an agreement to complete the conquest at his own expense, but with his death the agreement lapsed. The treasury of the colony was depleted, but Governor Tello nevertheless decided to take over the conquest at government expense. He sent General Juan Roquillo to take charge.

Upon his arrival, Roquillo took command of the Spanish camp and fleet, which he found in Tampacan. He confirmed the peace and friendship with the chiefs and people of Tampacan and Lumaguan, restored and set in better order the Spanish settlement and fort, and began to make preparation for the war against Buhahayen. He spent many days in making a few incursions into their land and attacks on their forts, but without any notable result. The enemy were many and all good soldiers, with plenty of arquebuses and artillery, and had fortified themselves in a strong position. They had many other fortifications inland and went from one to the other with impunity, whenever they wished, and greatly harassed the Spaniards, who were little used to so swampy a country. The latter found themselves short of provisions without the possibility of getting them in the country on account of the war.

Don Juan Ronquillo, seeing that the war was advancing very slowly and with little result, and that the camp was suffering, drew up a report of it. He wrote to inform Governor Tello that it would be better to withdraw the camp from Mindanao River, so that it might not perish; and that a presidio could be established on the same island in the port of La Caldera, which could be left fortified, in order not to abandon this enterprise entirely, and so that their friends of Tampacan and Lumaguan might be kept hostile to the people of Buhahayen. Meanwhile, he and the rest of the camp and fleet would return to Manila, if permitted, for which he requested the governor to send him an order quickly.

Upon the receipt of this despatch, Governor Don Francisco Tello ordered Don Juan Ronquillo to withdraw with his whole camp from Mindanao River. He was ordered first to make a great effort to chastise the enemy in Buhahayen, and then to burn the Spanish settlement and fort and go to La Caldera, fortify it, and leave there a sufficient garrison with artillery, boats, and provisions for its maintenance and service. Then he was to return to Manila with the rest of his men, after telling their friends in Tampacan that the Spaniards would shortly return to the river better equipped and in greater numbers.

Before this could be completed, however, the forces of Buhahayen, reinforced by a fleet and 1,000 soldiers from Terrenate, attacked the Spanish in their camp. In intense fighting, sometimes hand to hand, the Spanish routed the attackers, killing many, taking many prisoners, and capturing or burning most of the boats.

As soon as possible after this, the Spaniards attacked the settlements and forts of Buhahayen which such effect that the enemy, seeing themselves hard pressed and without anyone to help them, sent proposals of peace to Ronquillo. The outcome was their rendering recognition and homage to the Spanish, and pledging friendship with Tampacan, their ancient enemy. Thereupon the war was apparently ended, provisions were now to be had, and the Spaniards with little precaution crossed and went about the country wherever they wished. The people of Buhahayen promised to dismantle all their forts immediately, for that was one of the conditions of peace. When the Spaniards returned to their fort and settlement at Tampacan, Don Juan Ronquillo immediately sent despatches to Governor Don Francisco Tello, informing him of the different turn that the enterprise had taken.

The governor immediately sent a despatch countermanding his first order, but it arrived too late. The Spanish abandoned and burned their base on Mindanao River and left for Manila, leaving only a garrison of 100 soldiers at La Caldera.

The governor sent to arrest General Ronquillo on the road before he entered Manila, intending to proceed against him by law for having withdrawn the camp and army from Mindanao River without awaiting the orders he should have expected after the favorable turn of affairs. However, General Ronquillo was set at liberty on showing a private letter from the governor, which the latter had sent him separately with the first instructions, to the effect that he should return to Manila with his troops in any event, because they were needed in the islands for other purposes; and because of this letter Don Juan had determined not to await the second order.

This partial withdrawal of the Spanish resulted in their opposition gaining considerable strength. The king of Jolo Island, a vassal of the Spanish, soon revolted. The Spanish made an unsuccessful effort to reconquer Jolo in 1602.

. . . Francisco de Tello de Guzmán . . .

This article is issued from web site Wikipedia. The original article may be a bit shortened or modified. Some links may have been modified. The text is licensed under “Creative Commons – Attribution – Sharealike” [1] and some of the text can also be licensed under the terms of the “GNU Free Documentation License” [2]. Additional terms may apply for the media files. By using this site, you agree to our Legal pages . Web links: [1] [2]

. . . Francisco de Tello de Guzmán . . .