72 Field Regiment was raised on 01 July 1967 at Belgaum under the command of Lieutenant Colonel NR Pawar.
The regiment has taken part in the following operations –
- Indo-Pakistani War of 1971: It participated in Operation Cactus Lily and was deployed in ‘Foxtrot’ sector, where it engaged numerous targets in enemy territory effectively. The regiment lost Havildar Prabhu Dayal during the operations.
- Operation Trident : The regiment was mobilised and took part in the operation between 31 January 1987 and 18 March 1987.
- Operation Meghdoot : In 1988, the gunners of the 722 Medium Battery of the regiment were posted in Observation Posts and with guns. It engaged the ‘Heavy Machine Gun Ridge’ with accurate artillery fire.
- Operation Vijay : On 28 June 1999, the regiment was mobilised and deployed in the ‘J’ sector. It reached back to its base location on 31 December 1999.
- Operation Parakram : The regiment was deployed on 19 December 2001 to 27 December 2002. It also took part in Project Sahyog.
- Operation Rhino : The unit was deployed in North Chachar Hills in Assam and took part in counter insurgency operations between 2006 and 2009.
- Operation Hifazat : 721 Field Battery of the regiment was deployed in Manipur’s Bekra sector for counter insurgency operations between 2008 and 2009.
- Operation Rakshak : The regiment during its tenure in Drass took part in anti-terrorist operations.