1985 Ginebra San Miguel season

The 1985 Ginebra San Miguel season was the 7th season of the franchise in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

1985 Ginebra San Miguel season
Head coach Robert Jaworski
Owner(s) La Tondeña Incorporada
Open Conference results
Record 39
Place 7th
Playoff finish Eliminated
All Filipino Conference results
Record 1011
Place 4th
Playoff finish Semifinals
Reinforced Conference results
Record 159
Place 3rd
Playoff finish Semifinals
Ginebra San Miguel seasons

. . . 1985 Ginebra San Miguel season . . .

Arnie TuadlesAcquired from Great Taste
Ricky RelosaAcquired from Beer Hausen
Nicanor Bulaong Acquired from Beer Hausen
Reynaldo Perez Rookie signed

The new name of the Gilbey’s Gin was announced by team manager Adolf Ferrer during the formal turnover ceremonies witnessed by Ginebra playing coach Sonny Jaworski and PBA president Carlos “Honeyboy” Palanca.

After two months of negotiations between W & A Gilbey’s Ltd. of London and LA Tondeña Inc., Gilbey’s International Managing Director John Townsend “finally agreed to sell the team name rights to Ginebra San Miguel.”

Team owner Carlos Palanca offered a role of playing-coach to Robert Jaworski and handle the team beginning the season, replacing their former coach Arturo Valenzona. The Big J brought along his former Toyota teammate Rino Salazar to be his assistant coach and the Ginebra ballclub was a Toyota reincarnation with five former Toyota players with the acquisition of Arnie Tuadles from Great Taste and Ricky Relosa of Beer Hausen.

On the third playing date of the Open Conference on March 7, Ginebra beat Tanduay, 89-86, only to lose that victory when the PBA commissioner uphold the Tanduay protest, citing a fatal error by the referees in the dying seconds of the game. The replay was set on April 14 in a triple-header with the Ginebra-Tanduay game scheduled at 3pm. Unlike when the two teams first met, Ginebra import Harold Driver and Tanduay import Merlin Wilson will no longer be around in the replayed game as they were both already been replaced, Driver was sent home after four games and Ginebra brought in John Campbell.

On October 22, Ginebra beat Northern (NCC), 99–96, in a match wherein Ginebra playing-coach Robert Jaworski was hit by an elbow from naturalized player Jeff Moore late in the second quarter which caused him to bleed from the mouth that requires 9 stitches, the Big J had to come back from the hospital and fielded himself in during the third quarter to lead the Ginebras back in the game along with his backcourt partner Francis Arnaiz. This was said to be the memorable night that give birth to the “never-say-die” spirit.

. . . 1985 Ginebra San Miguel season . . .

This article is issued from web site Wikipedia. The original article may be a bit shortened or modified. Some links may have been modified. The text is licensed under “Creative Commons – Attribution – Sharealike” [1] and some of the text can also be licensed under the terms of the “GNU Free Documentation License” [2]. Additional terms may apply for the media files. By using this site, you agree to our Legal pages . Web links: [1] [2]

. . . 1985 Ginebra San Miguel season . . .